Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computation with TS_HOST_DRIVER

David M. Brean David.Brean at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 29 08:49:46 PDT 2004

The subnet management state is protected by an M_Key (see section
14.2.4).  The M_Key is managed by the SM.  The M_Key is not exposed via
the Verbs or through SA queries [the exception being the trusted entity,
but that entity is another SA or higher layer management application -
so let's ignore for this situation.]   An endnode implementation should
not allow any back-door mechanism that enables changing the subnet
management state without the M_Key if the port is protected.  Note, the
M_Key and protection bits can be in persistent storage and preserved
across port power cycles to eliminate the power-up exposure.  So,
without making subnet assumptions/restrictions, there is no reliable way
for an IB client, like the local MAD layer, to specify the LID.

LID assignment is SM policy and the SM may choose to preserve a port's
LID, however, I don't think IB clients should depend on this behavior.

-David