Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computation withTS_HOST_DRIVER

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Sep 29 17:38:21 PDT 2004

At 04:24 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>I agree with Dave that Static LID is problematic and we should think of
>other short and longer term alternative for that
>(There are many cases where the SM may dictate a non random LID
>allocation policy, E.g. LMC configuration changes, Subnet Merge, .. and
>the HCA is not aware of it).
>
>I believe that the need for it comes from applications that want to talk
>to some kind of a loop back adapter without depending on the port state
>or even before the port is up.

This is covered in the specification.

>A better solution that IBTA needs to look at is creating a well known
>Loopback LID value that apps use when they want to talk locally (like IP
>127...)

See section 17.3.1 version 1.1 page 919 of volume 1 which provides specific
guidance on how loopback is implemented and what LID should be used.  There
is no reason for a loopback LID.  This topic was debated and the spec
reflects the outcome of the debate.

Mike