[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Sep 30 16:04:16 PDT 2004

At 01:05 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 13:46, Michael Krause wrote:
> > In what I was proposing, the change in IP service being provided for a
> > given partition would result in a service event notification.  You are
> > correct that unless an endnode periodically examines its P_Key table
> > per port for change, there is no method to know that an admin has
> > effected a change in the partition space.  The IP service with event
> > notification would provide this state change as a service event.
>
>Are you saying that when a particular service record is created in the
>SA, an event is generated to a set of interested endnodes ? I don't
>think there is a way to do that. The only choice is for the endnode
>to continue to poll the service records based on the matching criteria
>which we would need to define (ServiceID or name perhaps).

A proposal would be reflected in an ECR that basically re-used the trap
event notification method to return status indicating service state has
changed. In this case, it would be the addition / deletion of a partition
that supported the IP service.

> > It isn't required that an endnode leave but if there is one around to
> > listen, why remain in the multicast group.
>
>I don't think there is a way to tell a node is the last (full) member of
>the group. Anyhow, if this were done, how would that node know to rejoin
>once another node came along ?

The SM knows this and could simply delete the group.  It isn't important to
have happen as most fabrics will have at least one IP service partition
running with multiple members.

Mike