[openib-general] [RMPP] RMPP formatting assumptions

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Apr 1 09:35:39 PST 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 19:16, Sean Hefty wrote:
>
>>So far, here are my assumptions regarding the formatting of the RMPP MADs.
>>
>>The following fields in the RMPP header are set by the user:
>>Version, Type = DATA, RTime, Flags = ACTIVE, and Status = 0
>
> Should RMPP set the status rather than the user or is this an efficiency
> thing ?

I was trying to limit the fields that the RMPP header would need to
touch.  The RMPP layer would change the status if an error occurred.

> So it sounds like the streaming mode of RMPPis not handled on transmit.
> It is optional on that side.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the case where the payload length
is set to 0.  This is not handled.  I'm not even sure how you could
handle such a transfer without changes to the MAD API and having the
client be aware of the RMPP implementation.

> What about receive ? Can it/will it handle streaming mode ?

The receive side uses the LAST bit to check for the end of the data
transfer, so should work if payload length is 0.