[openib-general] ia64 perf and FMR

Fab Tillier ftillier at infiniconsys.com
Sun Apr 3 23:16:35 PDT 2005

If you have access to a Tavor PRM, you can see what they are and how they
work.  The Mellanox implementation of FMR is not the same as FMR defined in
the 1.2 IB spec.

Basically, FMR lets you register memory without using the command interface,
using memory mapped HCA resource to access the translation tables directly.
There are pitfalls with them related to the HCA caching translation entries
and cache coherency between the HCA and what the app wants it to do.

That's my current understanding, and will gladly stand corrected.  I hope
that helps some.

- Fab