[openib-general] IPoIB

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Mon Apr 4 15:35:16 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:08:03PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> A while ago, Tom brought up the issue of IPoIB link level broadcasting
> from user space (with the arping tool). Is it possible to do this from
> kernel space?

I would think any driver can call hard_xmit() for any "NIC".
pktgen.c does.

> For example, how would/could sendto() work when sending
> to a IPoIB link layer address?

Would net/core/pktgen.c help?

	 * A tool for loading the network with preconfigurated packets.
	 * The tool is implemented as a linux module.  Parameters are output
	 * device, delay (to hard_xmit), number of packets, and whether
	 * to use multiple SKBs or just the same one.
	 * pktgen uses the installed interface's output routine.

That's one of the tools I use occasionally for performance analysis.
This certainly would be useful to test TCP/IP <-> IB bridge/router
support in the kernel.

> If all we wanted to support was
> broadcast, perhaps there could be a remapping of the ethernet MAC
> broadcast address to the all hosts MGID and QPN for that IPoIB
> interface. Or perhaps the entire ipoib pseudoheader should be supported
> in this mode. This is needed to support RARPing. Some hosts want to RARP
> for their IP address and this should be supported over IPoIB.

sorry - the above is mostly greek to me...

grant