[openib-general] Port of ISC DHCP-3.0.2 to OpenIB IPoIB

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Mon Apr 4 19:50:37 PDT 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 06:06:30PM -0500, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:04, Josh England wrote:
> > Are there any plans to modify the linux DHCP client so it would be
> > possible to do kernel-level DHCP and NFSroot over IB?
>
> I took a quick look at this and it looks pretty straightforward. Stay
> tuned...

I'd say don't.

Using initrd/initramfs is a much better solution. At some point the
in-kernel dhcp is going to get so buggy and old it's going to get
removed.

I boot all my cluster systems with NFS root servers, and I'm trying to
get everything moved to using Debian packaged kernels with initrd's.
With an initrd, you at least have a chance to get a shell and figure out
why you couldn't find your nfs server, instead of "kernel panic, I'm
going to die now" you get with in-kernel dhcp/nfs.