[openib-general] Port of ISC DHCP-3.0.2 to OpenIB IPoIB

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Tue Apr 5 08:53:24 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:17:43PM -0700, Josh England wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> >>I took a quick look at this and it looks pretty straightforward. Stay
> >>tuned...
> >

> > I'd say don't.
> >
> > Using initrd/initramfs is a much better solution. At some point the
> > in-kernel dhcp is going to get so buggy and old it's going to get
> > removed.
>
> I know...it's just crummy to have ship another 1.3 Megs out to every node.
>
> > I boot all my cluster systems with NFS root servers, and I'm trying to
> > get everything moved to using Debian packaged kernels with initrd's.
> > With an initrd, you at least have a chance to get a shell and figure out
> > why you couldn't find your nfs server, instead of "kernel panic, I'm
> > going to die now" you get with in-kernel dhcp/nfs.
>
> Check out oneSIS (http://onesis.org).  It can build initrds for you that
> do NFSroot (and drop to a shell when things go sour).  I'd love to hear
> some feedback from people familiar with running NFSroot.

Debian has a package called "lessdisks" that does some similiar stuff..
If I do "apt-get install initrd-netboot-tools", and then install a
debian kernel image, it builds an initrd that can netboot. I suppose my
next trick after I get the debian kernel maintainers to make sure
infiniband is enabled is to try booting over IPoIB.

What dhcp client does onesis use? The debian lessdisks stuff uses
'udhcpc', advertised as a "very small DHCP client".