[openib-general] SM Bad Port Handling

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Apr 7 13:27:41 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:12, Grant Grundler wrote:

> > Is there a need to store these "bad" ports persistently (and ignore them
> > on startup) ?
>
> If opensm can see the physical link is ok, I would think it save
> any state. It's possible a system just hasn't loaded whatever
> SW is necessary to talk to the SM and might require operator
> intervention to kick that off (e.g. none of my systems auto-reboot
> unless I'm testing a specific customer environment).

Yes, I think there is also a partial boot up case where physical link
can be up but the node won't respond to SM MADs.

Still, I'm not sure why this would need to be saved persistently by the
SM. It seems like a transient state that would be detected and if it
goes away that should be detected too. The only issue being that the
detection of the recovery might be longer.