[openib-general] Re: A Couple More CM Queries

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Apr 8 09:34:24 PDT 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> 1. cm_alloc_id does an idr_get_new_above starting at 1. Might this be
> better saving the highest value and starting there so connection IDs are
> less likely to repeat as soon ?

I _think_ this would result in the IDR tables growing to their maximum
size, which seems worse than repeating the IDs immediately after their
timewait expires.

> 2. Should ib_create_cm_id check return an error if cm_handler == NULL
> just to make sure ?

Personally, I don't think it's worth this check for kernel clients,
unless we want to start checking for NULL parameters everywhere.

While on the CM, I did look at the issue of calling the API out of
order that you had pointed out before (which could result in accessing
a NULL port pointer).  I'm not convinced that a simple check for a NULL
port pointer covers all potential problems.  For example, I'm not sure
how well the codebase will handle the dynamic removal of a device while
users are attempting to access the device.