[openib-general] SM Bad Port Handling

shaharf shaharf at voltaire.com
Wed Apr 13 07:03:21 PDT 2005

Eitan,

	Your analysis is not completely accurate. The SM configure the
subnet using direct mads only, and it builds a spanning tree of direct
routes. What I want to say, is that that it doesn't matter why exactly a
port is unreachable. Once a port can not be reached, you can either
retry the entire heavy sweep process, but if the problem repeats itself
(X times) on the same port, you have no alternative other then disable
it. If the SM will have an alternative method of building direct paths,
then such alternative path could be attempted. Currently it is not
relevant. Speaking of "statistical analysis", what are the odds that a
port will behave well when it is queried directly, but starts to loose
packets when a direct route is routed through it, and behave
consistently during all retries? Again, even if this is the case (and in
understatement, I am not sure how frequent it is), the port behind it is
unreachable and therefore "bad".

The current unhealthy port mechanism is not redundant to this "bad" port
mechanism because it does not handle the same case. Both mechanisms are
required. The issue if they can share the same status bit is really an
implementation issue.

Relying of traps is very problematic in some cases, particularly in
initial bring up sweep when the SM lid is not even configured (remember
VTEC?).

Shahar