[openib-general] Topspin, Cisco and OpenIB

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Apr 14 12:35:48 PDT 2005

By now I'm sure most of you have heard the news that Cisco is
acquiring Topspin.  As you can see from the headline of the release
(http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2005/corp_041405.html?CMP=ILC-001):

  Cisco Systems to Acquire Topspin Communications

  Broadens Data Center Portfolio with Server Fabric Switches,
  InfiniBand Technology, and Server Virtualization Software

Cisco is putting InfiniBand front and center, and everything I've
heard from Cisco during the process confirms that they are excited
about IB and want to continue to expand the IB market in high
performance computing and beyond.

Open source InfiniBand software is a key part of this plan, and Libor
and I will continue our efforts in OpenIB.  If anything, the Cisco
acquisition will allow us to focus even more resources on OpenIB, and
I think the deal will be a huge win for OpenIB and the InfiniBand world.

Thanks,
  Roland