[openib-general] Re: RDMA memory registration

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 29 14:04:01 PDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Bill Jordan wrote:

> I'm very confused at this point. Can you briefly explain how this works,
> or point me to a description? I don't see how you could do user level
> I/O without registering the memory with the hardware. I'm especially
> confused by the comment (may not have been yours) that the memory
> doesn't have to be pinned.

you modify the mm layer of linux, so that the PTEs on the Quadrics card
are in sync with teh PTEs int he mm layer. Then you are in a position to
have a NIC incite page faults for incoming packets.

I think greg got it right -- in practice, it's not done any more. Quadrics
has a kernel-patch-free source base now, I'm told.

ron