[openib-general] Re: [Rdma-developers] Meeting(07/22) summary:OpenRDMA community development discussion

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Mon Aug 1 15:12:00 PDT 2005

I've
> seen
> this suggested).

Fab, I did the same distinction between pure verbs & the broader API
(+CM, SA, ..)

I agree that pure send, receive, .. verbs are similar with minor
differences
And we may just want to adopt them with minor changes

On the other hand it would not be efficient to try and bend the iWarp CM
model to the IB (complex) one, but rather use a simpler one, such as the
one in DAPL that fits both camps

In IB we need to use a CM and a bunch of SA queries, where the ULP
doesn't really need all that and can do with a simple BSD like
connection request (that may map to a more complex IB or iWarp model
underneath)

There are ways in the dapl/bsd like connection mechanism enough to imply
sequrity/QoS/etc' (using a src/dst IP, network implied from IP, and
kDAPL QoS or BSD TOS, ..) so a user doesn't need direct access to SA for
connections, at the most we can add some flags to it

Yaron