[openib-general] Re: [Rdma-developers] Meeting (07/22)summary:OpenRDMA community development discussion

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 09:07:42 PDT 2005

Generally there are two cases to consider: when the TCP mode is not visible
and when it is.

When it is not visible it is certainly easy to manage the TCP connection
with subset logic within the RDMA stack and never involve the host
stack. This is certainly what the initial proposal will rely upon. In
the long term it has the problems you cited. Having two stacks
accept TCP connections means that *both* must be updated
to stay current with the latest DoS attacks. While it is more
work for the RDMA device, I think there is general agreement
amongs the hardware vendors that this is something that the
OS *should* retain control of. Deciding which connections may
be accepted is inherently an OS function.

Beyond that there is a distinct programming model, already
accepted in IETF specifications, that requires the application
to begin work in streaming (i.e., socket) mode, and then only
convert to RDMA mode once the two peers have agreed upon
that optimization. To support that model you will eventually
have to allow the host stack to transfer a TCP connection to
the RDMA stack *or* you will require the RDMA stack to
provide full TCP/socket functionality.

So the real question is not whether to allow the RDMA stack
to "take" a connection from the host stack, but whether to
force the RDMA stack to yield control of the connection to
the host during critical connection setup so that this step
remains firmly under OS control and oversight.