[openib-general] Re: fixes to the udapl ucm/uat patch you sent

Arlin Davis ardavis at ichips.intel.com
Tue Aug 2 18:16:20 PDT 2005

James,

> Hi Arlin,
>
> Can I break this patch into 3 parts: the changes to dapl_evd_wait, the
> changes to dapl_evd_resize, and the ib changes? I think it will be
> easier to discuss each set of changes seperately (with so many
> seperate issues, I'm afraid I've missed your reply to some of these
> questions)

Yes please break them out. I need to go back and take a closer look at
my error cases for the wait and resize. In the future I will keep any
common code patches seperate from the IB code.

> dapl_evd_wait:
>
> I looked over the original implementation of dapl_evd_wait() with an
> eye towards the situation you described (the caller polling and
> finding fewer events than requested, the caller going to turn on
> notification, an event occuring, the caller turning on notification,
> the caller blocking unaware of the last event). I don't believe that
> this would happen in the original implementation. Here's why: after
> the caller turns on notification, the code loops, via the continue
> statement on line 213, back to the begining of the for loop on line
> 173 and repolls. Do you agree?

Hmmm. Yes it appears to be correct now that I take another look at it.
Ok, ignore the patch for now and I will take another look
at the senario that was missing the completions. On a side note, does
this call need to adjust the time if coming out of a wait but still not
reaching threshold and going back into a subsequent wait?

> dapl_evd_resize:
>
> I'm still unsure of why you removed the call to
> dapls_evd_event_realloc() and moved the work that was being performed
> in that routine up into dapl_evd_resize(). If we don't call
> dapls_evd_event_realloc() anymore, the code should be removed.

sorry. I had some issues with resize and just grabbed a gen1 IBAL
version that rolled up everything into one call. Replaced the
reallocates with the allocs. The event_realloc and the rbuf_reallocs are
no longer used in this version. Let me go back to my error condition and
see if I can isolate to one of the realloc calls instead of a wholesale
change to resize.

Cancel this patch for now.

> ib changes:
>
> These look ok to me. I've checked them into revision 2955.

thanks,

-arlin