[openib-general] osm: management headers installed into /usr/ local/include

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 8 04:52:13 PDT 2005

Hi Hal,

I looked further into the userspace/management autoconf/automake system and
found out that the tweak of the prefix directory (from /usr/local to
/usr/local/ib) was done in a hack, rather then the "auto tools" way:

Autoconf provides the macro: AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT to do change default prefix.
Using this macro the bindir, libdir and includedir, datadir, etc, will be
set correctly.
To use it in our case every configure.in should have this directive:
AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT([/usr/local/ib])

The current method of overriding the bindir/libdir in the Makefile.am works
but breaks other standard autoconf features like the -prefix for directing
the installation dir to the non default directory.
Actually some other prefix dependant variables should be re-assigned and are
missing.

I think that we should fix this and do it the "Auto tools" way.

Please approve and I will provide a patch for using the macro.

Actually the entire management tree should have been built as a standard
"auto tools" project utilizing the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS. This is somewhat a
larger change so I do not think it worth it this time. It will require ALL
the sub directories to be "autogen" then ALL of them configured then ALL
make ...
This normally requires a special compilation mode ("pre-install") where the
libs and includes are taken from relative paths rather then from the final
"install" path. The advantage is that the entire project can be "configured"
and if something is broken in the required C lib or stdlib you do not wait
for the specific sub dir to fail but get the notice in advance. There might
be other benefits like adhering to the standard build procedure.

Please approve the direction for this patch (using AC_DEFAULT_PREFIX) is
acceptable.

EZ
Eitan Zahavi
Design Technology Director