[openib-general] osm: management headers installed into /usr/ local/include

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Mon Aug 8 07:38:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 09:43, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hal wrote:
> > >
> > > I think that we should fix this and do it the "Auto tools" way.
> > >
> > > Please approve and I will provide a patch for using the macro.
> >
> > Yes, that is a better way and I would accept such a patch.
> [EZ] But now when we know the include is not residing under prefix but
> forced under /usr/local it does not make much sense to do it.
>
> Why do we keep the bin lib and include under different directory
> hierarchy?
> It contradicts with the way most other user level things looks like in
> Linux.
> Normally people place them all under prefix dir and let the user play
> with the prefix.

This was the convention used back when this started (I'm not sure how it
evolved) but maybe it doesn't make sense anymore and all should just be
under /usr/local/[include lib bin]. The only reason in
terms of the headers was that they were not commonly used and so
numerous so they perhaps should be separated out.