[openib-general] Re: [mgtwg] [OpenSM] multicast group - mtu_selector question

Greg Pfister pfister at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 8 08:40:41 PDT 2005

Hi, Yael.

My understanding is that your understanding is almost correct, with two
adjustments -- one technical, one formal, from the point of view of the
IBA spec.

MtuSelector does have meaning  in queries, not just in the scope of
creation. E.g.,if you query using 1 and 1024 (less than 1024), and the
only group existing that otherwise matches has an MTU of 2048, you will
not find <any members of> that group.

Formal: The statement "mcgroup does not carry the mtu_selector value" is
meaningless from the spec's position. It is silent (purposely) on any
implementation, hence is silent about what may be in any data structure
created to represent a multicast group.  Naturally, an OpenIB
implementation can't take that position.

Personal opinion, not spec: The query exception above doesn't change the
fact that it looks less than useful to maintain the selector in the
mcgroup data structure.

Any comments by others?

(I'm not on the OpenIB reflector, so this may not be reflected there. If
someone who is wants to forward this there, please feel free.)

Greg Pfister
IBM Distinguished Engineer, Member IBM Academy of Technology
IBM Systems & Technology Group, Server Technology & Architecture
(512) 838-8338 | IBM tieline 678-8338 | FAX (512) 838-3418
Sic Crustulum Frangitur