[openib-general] RE: OpenSM Work

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Mon Aug 8 17:56:03 PDT 2005

Hi Eitan,

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 02:15, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> Regarding the directory structure of OpenSM:
> From the developer standpoint it makes life easier to have the H files
> located on the same directory the C file is located. I still use
> "grep" a lot.

Couldn't the grep be done from one level up and get pretty much the same
thing ?

> I could not find even one GNU stile project that uses a separate
> include directory for H files during the development phase (all of
> them eventually install H files into $prefix/include).

> Please see the short list of projects below as a reference but
> actually I picked them randomly from the FSF GNU projects page.
>
> Tcl
> Expat
> Enscript
> Gimp

gcc and gdb have include directories in their source distribution.

Others: GGI

> So I guess this methodology of keeping all H files in a separate
> directory is more a "kernel" convention?

I don't think so.

> What are the implications of moving the H files each into its sources
> dir?

What are the implications of not doing this ?

> This issue is more a style and adherence to the standard coding
> practices for user level code then something that prevents us from
> progressing.

I do think it is a style issue and don't think there are any real
technical arguments either way.

> However I wonder what are the strong reasons for keeping it the way it
> is?

Is there a strong reason for changing it ?