[openib-general] Is IB_EVENT_SM_CHANGE is equivalent in semantic to the Client Rer egister event in the IB SPEC

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 10 09:26:31 PDT 2005

Hi Tziporet,

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:13, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working to enable the Client Reregister event as defined in IB
> SPEC on chapter 14.4.11.
> While doing it I saw that in the core the event IB_EVENT_SM_CHANGE is
> defined and also ULPs are using it but this event is never generated.
>
> My understanding is that Client Reregister event should generate this
> event.
> Is this correct?

I think these are 2 different things.

There is the PortInfo::ClientReregister bit (assuming
IsClientReregistrationSupported is indicated in
PortInfo::CapabilityMask) which is used by the SM to tell the endport to
reregister.

SM Change event would be when the SM LID in PortInfo is changed (by SM
failover/takeover).

However, in OpenIB, I believe that any receipt of a Set(PortInfo)
directed at this endport/node is not distinguished and there is one
event indicated for this currently (IB_EVENT_LID_CHANGE). Perhaps that
will change to be finer grained (saving and comparing some state) going
forward.

-- Hal