[openib-general] what do you think about the following two user level small tools?

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Aug 12 06:32:56 PDT 2005

Hi Dotan,

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:54, Dotan Barak wrote:
> Hi.
> I ported the following two tools from gen1 and they can be found in
> https://openib.org/svn/trunk/contrib/mellanox/tools/.
>
> Here is a small description of those tools:
>
> vstat:                  print all the capabilities that query hca
> return (this tool can be used in scripts).
> check_catastrophic:     check that the device is not in fatal state
> (this tool will be useful when the fatal flow will be implemented)
>
> If you think that those tools are useful i will move them to the
> trunk.

vstat is the fourth version of some sort of status. There are ibstat and
ibstatus working at either the driver or umad layer. There is also
ibv_devinfo which displays a subset of this info from the verbs layer.
So this adds some things which may be useful. Perhaps a rename to
ibv_stat to be more in sync.

As far as check_catastrophic goes, this basically does a query_device
and so is less than what is done in the ibv_devinfo example so this one
may be less useful. Also, rather than or in addition to device name,
should this take a GID or GUID as an alternative to device name ?

Also, they should be changed to be built with autotools as is the OpenIB
way.