[openib-general] Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2.6.9 backport patches

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 17 13:51:07 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Bob Woodruff <robert.j.woodruff at intel.com>:
> Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] 2.6.9 backport patches
>
> Michael wrote,
> >Hi!
> >Backport patches to trunk that enable support for RHEL4.0 (2.6.9) and
> >SuSE9.3 (2.6.11), can now be found under
> >https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/backport/2.6.9
> >and
> >https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/backport/2.6.11
>
> >These patches do not touch the kernel source outside the infiniband
> directory,
> >and you dont need to reboot after you apply them.
>
> Cool!! I tried these out on x86_64 and Itanium (so far) and from the initial
>
> tests I have done so far, I have seen no problems. It is great that you
> provided some patches that do not require any kernel mods, which allows
> one to build .ko's that I can load on the stock redhat EL4.0 kernel.
>
> I did notice a couple of things.
> 1.) There is no backport patch for SRP, which I had worked around by
> exporting
> scsi_scan_target in the kernel. Not sure how best to fix it with a patch
> that does not require any kernel changes. Perhaps Roland could recommend
> something.

On intel we can use the hack with reading /proc/kallsyms and
casting the address to function pointers.
I gather this doesnt work for some other arches.

> 2.) You might want to include a patch for the kernel/drivers Kconfig and
> Makefile, see below. This is the only thing I had to touch outside the
> infiniband directory to build the code.

Actually, I dont do this, I use a simple script below.
This means I have to tweak config options manually instead of using a
menu, but oh well.

#!/usr/bin/make -f

openib_mak_all: openib modules_post

include ./Makefile

.PHONY: modules_post openib
modules_post:
        @echo '  Building modules, stage 2.';
        $(Q)$(MAKE) -rR -f $(srctree)/scripts/Makefile.modpost
openib:
        @echo '  Building modules, stage 1.';
        $(Q)$(MAKE) -f ./Makefile drivers/infiniband/\
                CONFIG_INFINIBAND=m\
                CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA=m\
                CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB=m\
                CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SDP=m\