[openib-general] OpenSM: new branch

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 23 05:36:14 PDT 2005

Hi Yael,

>Since the merge or the OpenSM to the main trunk is going to be long,

That's not exactly what I meant but ...

> we tried to come up with a way to make it clearer and easier to review.
> Currently we have the osm-1.8.0-merge branch, that includes all the merges. We gave special attention
> to make sure fixes done on the main trunk will not be lost in the process.
> During the main trunk update, this branch can be used to validate the merge.

I will saving the trunk as a new branch before I start this.

> Regarding the merge:
> As we tried to do the merge patch by patch with no success,
> we would like to propose an alternative stategy for making sure all changes are reviewed.
> We think the merge should be split to reasonable sized chunks, and applied on each section separately
> even at the cost of breaking the code at several stages.
> We believe that the effort of merging all the changes without breaking the compilation is too big, since
> many changes involve multiple files.
> We think the following partition could be useful:
> 1. New and deleted files.
> 2. Build environment changes
> 3. Complib Include and Code.
> 4. Vendor Modifications Include and Code.
> 5. OpenSM headers and ib_types.h.
> 6. OpenSM core - SM part.
> 7. OpenSM core SA part (actually can be done one file at a time)

Yes, that's along the lines I was thinking and tried to describe in an earlier email. I still think it could be done with patches (with it being more cumbersome to do it that way).

> The attached file provides the list of the files for each step, such that obtaining the patch for each step is
> made simpler.

Thanks. This will definitely help.

> We, of course, will be happy to help in creating the patches, and assist in any way possible to make this
> merge a smooth as possible.

I will likely have questions as I go through this.