[openib-general] Re: RDMA connection and address translation API

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 24 07:52:48 PDT 2005

Hi, Roland!
The more I think about your proposal, the more it makes sense to me.
One comment:

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rolandd at cisco.com>:
> The listen side is even simpler:
>
>     rdma_listen():
>         inputs: local service, event callback, consumer context
>
>         Wait for connection requests and pass events to the consumer's
>         callback.  I'm not sure if/home we want to support binding to
>         a particular IP address.  The current IB CM in Linux doesn't
>         support binding a listen to a single device or port, and even
>         if it did it's not clear how to handle binding to one IP
>         address when a port has more than one IP.

Interesting.
The current CM in linux is global, but it seems there's no problem
at least for the simple case with one IP per port.

Generally, cant we solve it by filtering?
Get the remote IP address from CM private data, and find
through which gateway it's accessed?
Note that clients like NFS/RDMA seem to want to re-resolve the IP by ARP
anyway, for verification purposes.

--
MST