[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Wed Aug 24 12:04:17 PDT 2005

The problem with the SID method is that the SID namespace is smaller than the
IPV6 address name space.  There's no way to get every possible IPV6 address
represented by a 64-bit SID.  This further ignores the rules for SIDs in the IB
specification.  I think private data is the only way to do this properly.

> If the CM abstraction layer expected those values to be returned in the
> REP message, it could validate that the remote side it using the same
> protocol to ensure some degree of backwards compatibility.
>
> I don't know if it makes more sense to push private data checks into the
> actual CM or keep them in a CM abstraction layer.  My guess is that the
> former may be the easier implementation.

I think putting the checks in the CM makes the most sense, though it should be
done in a generic fashion.  A CM abstraction layer could then simply apply a
policy for private data usage - where in the private data it stores the IP
address information.

Layering it this way allows the private data compare to be used for things other
than IP addresses.  Add functionality without imposing policy.

- Fab