[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Tom Tucker tom at ammasso.com
Wed Aug 24 12:09:18 PDT 2005

IMHO the benefit is that you have a transport independent addressing
mechanism -- albeit with some limitations as you've mentioned. In this
case, the vast majority of clients enjoy the benefit without suffering
the limitations.

> ... It
> doesn't provide additional security.  It doesn't solve the
> multi-homing problem we're talking about now.

Whenever a single GID maps to multiple IP addresses, I agree, it is a
limitation. However, I don't believe that this is strictly necessary.

> ... Once you've thrown away
> information by turning your IP address into an IB GID, there's no
> magic way ATS can recreate that information and be psychic about which
> of the multi-homed IPs you actually meant.

I agree, so don't do that. If you want it to work properly, then you
need to map GIDS to IP addresses.

> ... So why not just put the IP
> addressing information into the CM private data, the way that the SDP
> protocol already does?
>
>  - R.

Because it would be better to configure your network "properly". Putting
IP addresses in private data is fundamentally insecure since any user
mode client can spoof the IP address.