[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 24 12:12:57 PDT 2005

API

IPV4
> >     Fab> address, and would set the offset to that of the hello
> >     Fab> message's destination address (32).
> >
> > Yes, you're right for SDP.  I guess if we're comfortable mandating
> > that all protocols put their source and destination IPs in the
private
> > data for the IB case, then this works.  Of course it's somewhat
> > awkward to pass this information into the transport-neutral CM API
but
> > I think this can be worked around.
>
> I don't know if we need to mandate IP usage - it's up to the
application.
> Any
> application that wants to have similar semantics to the way socket
listens
> work
> (especially when bound to one of multiple IP addresses on a port) the
> application would have to define its private data to accommodate this.

The context of this discussion is around a common API for iWarp/IB ULPs
In that case they all use IP addresses (since it's the common
addressing)

If someone would use the IB specific API under this abstraction level he
can provide what ever data he wants to the CM

Any way providing src/dst IPs in the CM Private data is simple, and we
can come with IBTA extension blessing that data structure as a general
way to map IP oriented protocols over IB (a 1-2 page draft at the most)
This way it can also address Caitlin concerns regarding NFS & IETF
(since now it's a transport specific issue)

Yaron