[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Wed Aug 24 12:19:25 PDT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Sean Hefty wrote:

> I guess that I'd like to clarify what the operation of a connect
> call would do.  Would it be responsible for modifying the QP?  If
> so, could such a call also allocate the QP?  Note that I'm not
> advocating either of these, just trying to determine what the
> behavior of the API would be.

If the connect call succeeds in establishing a connection, the ULP's
QP should be ready for posting work requests. This simplifies the ULP
considerably.

The API should not create the QP. That would create race conditions
for certain protocols. For example, consider a protocol in which the
first message was a send from the server to the client. To properly
implement such a protocol, the client must post a receive work request
before initiating a connection.