[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 24 15:56:41 PDT 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James Lentini [mailto:jlentini at netapp.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:51 PM
> To: Yaron Haviv
> Cc: Roland Dreier; openib-general at openib.org
> Subject: RE: [openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation
API

> Which draft contains this? I found
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ips-iser-04.txt

James,

You should look at :
http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/draft-ietf-ips-iser-05-candidate.
txt

The 05 rev really adds all the InfiniBand related stuff
You can see how the association between IB & IP is done using IPoIB

The current implementation may not use the private data field (since its
not critical/mandatory) but the intention is to add it to address multi
homed hosts, we would like to push such a definition into IBTA so every
IP oriented ULP can use it, several people expressed interest in such a
definition, this can also support NFS/RDMA or any other IP based ULP.

> but the HELLO header in section 9.3 does not contain any IP address
> information.
>
> > I believe it can be a good idea to use the same approach for
> > NFS/RDMA and eliminate the need for reverse ATS lookup (the may have
> > some conflicts when multiple IPs exists per node). We may just use
> > the SDP hello header as is with unused fields zeroed This will allow
> > all ULPs to use the same mechanism
>
> NFS/RDMA is not specific to iWARP or InfiniBand. My understanding is
> that this could not be easily accommodated in the current standards
> for that reason.

Not sure why is that the case, if we add an IBTA definition of CM
exchange for IP based ULP's (i.e. send src/dst IP and optionally ports)
you can now have an NFS/RDMA spec that doesn't need to have any IB/iWarp
specific definitions, since the differences are pushed down to the IBTA

In case of NFS/RDMA over other (non IB or iWarp) transport you can
specify that providing the IP addressing is a responsibility of the
underline transport.

Yaron