[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Aug 25 07:53:50 PDT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Roland Dreier wrote:

>     Sean> Is the idea that the user calls connect() and then receives
>     Sean> a single callback indicating that the connection has been
>     Sean> established?  If so, then the user may need to modify the QP
>     Sean> to the INIT state, which would require some knowledge
>     Sean> already of the path.  We would also need to be clear on
>     Sean> whether the QP is expected to be in the INIT state before
>     Sean> connect is called, or if it could be in any arbitrary state.
>     Sean> The other alternative is to provide multiple callbacks
>     Sean> during connection establishment.
>
> To me it makes sense for the generic CM API to be defined so that an
> IB QP must be in the INIT state before being passed to connect().

Will the ib_modify_qp() function be made transport neutral? I see some
fields in the ib_qp_attr structure that are IB specific.

I think the RDMA connection API should perform all the QP state
transitions for the ULP. How about a new call to create the QP and
perform all QP state transitions necessary for the posting receive
work requests?