[openib-general] Re: RDMA connection and address translation API

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Thu Aug 25 09:12:53 PDT 2005

    Michael> Wouldnt it be better to use some bits in the service ID
    Michael> field for this?

This would also be OK.  But Annex 3 of the IBA spec has already
defined the service ID field without any reserved bits we can use.
For example, if the first byte is 0x01, then the IETF is allowed to
use any value they want for the rest of the service ID.  So if we want
to keep backwards compatibility with the spec, this approach might be
difficult.

Anyway, what's the disadvantage of using a reserved bit or two from
the CM REQ?

 - R.