[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Thu Aug 25 09:55:51 PDT 2005

At 12:34 PM 8/25/2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>All implementation of NFS/RDMA on top of IB had better interoperate,
>right?  Which means that someone has to specify which address
>translation mechanism is the choice for NFS/RDMA.

Correct. At the moment the existing NFS/RDMA implementations
use ATS (Sun's and NetApp's).

>NFS/RDMA is being defined on top of an abstract RDMA interface.
>Someone has to write a spec for how that RDMA abstraction is
>translated into packets on the wire for each transport that NFS/RDMA
>will run on top of.

Well, we did. We specify the ULP payload of all the messages
in those two IETF documents. What we didn't do is define how
each transport handles IP addressing, that is a transport issue.

We don't need address translation over iWARP, since that uses
IP. Over IB, so far, we have used ATS. I am perfectly fine with
a better solution, but ATS has been fine too.

I am catching up to this discussion, so this is just one reply.

Tom.