[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 25 10:07:06 PDT 2005

API

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Yaron Haviv wrote:
>
> > Any way providing src/dst IPs in the CM Private data is simple, and
we
> > can come with IBTA extension blessing that data structure as a
general
> > way to map IP oriented protocols over IB (a 1-2 page draft at the
most)
> > This way it can also address Caitlin concerns regarding NFS & IETF
> > (since now it's a transport specific issue)
>
> How long do you estimate it would take to standardize an IP<->GID
> mechanism (ATS, CM embedded, ...) in the IBTA? 3 months? 6 months? A
> year?....
>
> Let's assume that everyone on this list is in agreement.

James, I can identify enough IBTA members in this list
In case the group is in agreement I believe it's a rather short process
Since it's just some minor definition, and IBTA doesn't have much on its
agenda these days.

For example Hal added a feature to the SM (client re-register ..) in
weeks
Based on the OpenIB input
We also don't have to wait for finalized spec to implement, just like we
implement IPoIB without an IETF RFC (only a draft)

By the way a quick path could be to define it in DAT and hand it over to
IBTA, after all ATS is also not an IBTA standard

Yaron