[openib-general] Header reorganization heads up

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Aug 25 10:56:20 PDT 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Roland Dreier wrote:

> To prepare for moving the headers in the Linux kernel from their
> current location of drivers/infiniband/include to a new include/rdma
> directory, I'm going to move the includes in the subversion repository
> from gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/infiniband/include to
> gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/infiniband/include/rdma.  To go along with
> this, I will update all the sources from
>
>     #include <ib_xxx.h>

>     #include <rdma/ib_xxx.h>
>
> I'll leave the "EXTRA_CFLAGS += -Idrivers/infiniband/include" lines in
> the subversion Makefiles, so the build will continue to work as usual.
>
> This change will be completely transparent to anyone who has
> gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/infiniband under the drivers/ directory of
> a kernel source tree.
>
> When the header file move is sent to the upstream kernel, I'll remove
> the EXTRA_CFLAGS from the kernel Makefiles.  Once the headers are in
> include/rdma in the upstream kernel, then one extra step will be
> required to put a subversion checkout into the kernel: you'll have to
> "rm -rf include/rdma" to avoid picking up the old header files.

If you remove the include/rdma directory, won't that break code
outside the OpenIB subversion tree that is using this location?

How about

cp -rf drivers/infiniband/include/rdma include

instead? or place the include files in a different part of the
svn tree:

https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/include/rdma

and recommend everyone do two subversion checkouts, one for the
includes and one for the driver.