crash solved! (was: [openib-general] kernel crashes while using mvapich-gen2 over ib_uverbs)

Christian Guggenberger christian.guggenberger at rzg.mpg.de
Fri Aug 26 00:50:32 PDT 2005

Roland,

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 17:52 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
> I finally got to the bottom of this.  It's a pretty simple
> use-after-free bug.  I didn't see it because the only machines I
> routinely test CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y kernels on are i386 machines, and
> the implementation of dma_unmap_sg() for i386 doesn't expose this
> bug.  As soon as I tested CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y on x86_64, I saw the
> same failure.  The patch below should fix this for you.
>
> Please let me know if you still have problems after applying this patch.

thanks for your several replies. I am sorry for not being available for
feedback immedeately.
To summarize, your patch works well (although I had to trim it
manually).

To answer your previous questions, CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y and
CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y were set.

(I guess you won't need objdump of uverbs_mem.o anymore, do you?)

Now, together with a fresh checkout of mvapich-gen2 I have been able to
run simple mpi programs.

thanks for your help && keep up the good work,

cheers.
 - Christian