[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Guy German guyg at voltaire.com
Fri Aug 26 01:26:53 PDT 2005

>> We need to insert in here:
>>
>> ib_modify_qp(...);  /* somehow uses address resolution... */
>> ib_post_recvs(...);
>>

>or add a new call to create the qp and modify it to init (an analog to
>the socket(2) function).

Sean> This approach seems reasonable to me.  Maybe something like:
Sean> rdma_create_qp(rdma_addr_info);

Sean> Uses the output from the address resolution to create the QP on the
Sean> correct device and transitions it to the INIT state.  The user can
Sean> now post any work requests that they want.  For example, with iWarp,
Sean> I believe that even send work requests can be posted in the INIT state.

What do you think about this flow ?
1. resolve device and port from ip address - synchronous operation
   (like at.c resolve_ip)
2. rdma_create_qp (device+port) - modifies qp to init with default pkey index
3. ib_post_recvs(...);
4. cma_connect - asynchronous at, modify qp with correct pkey index, cm_connect

Guy