[openib-general] RE: Do we care about pre-emption?

Guy German guyg at voltaire.com
Fri Aug 26 01:35:10 PDT 2005

Hi Paul,

Thanks for pointing out your OS preemeption needs.

> Your (current?) design minimizing the work in interrupt context
> seems a good starting point. Why do you want to do more of that
> work in an ISR? Is the extra complexity putting it outside an
> ISR significant? Is the performance much worse?

iSER, today, is going into the trouble of staying in the kernel thread
context as long as possible, after receiving it's completion upcall.
I was just a pondering - is it really necessary ? in light of  the SRP’s
different approach.

Any way, there isn’t any immediate intention of changing this - there
are other issues the iSER code is dealing with, right now.

Thanks,
Guy