[openib-general] Re: RDMA connection and address translation API

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Mon Aug 29 12:28:10 PDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rolandd at cisco.com>:
> > Subject: Re: RDMA connection and address translation API
> >
> >     Michael> What about using an Externally Administrated Service ID?
> >     Michael> Openib gets Service ID = 0x1H00 1405 XXXX XXXX where H is
> >     Michael> any digit.
> >
> > That would work.  I think we've already converged on picking a service
> > ID range for our "iWARP emulation" spec.  The only question is whether
> > it should be in the IBTA or IETF service ID range, and I don't think
> > that really matters much.
>
> Or neither :)
> Are there disadvantages to Externally Administrated Service ID?
> This avoids any need for approvals from either IETF or IBTA.

We should encourage interoperability with other implementations.
Standardizing the protocol in the appropriate standards body is the
way to ensure that. My assumption is that IBTA is the appropriate
place for this.

As Yaron pointed out earlier, we can do the initial implementation and
standardization in parallel.