[openib-general] RDMA Generic Connection Management

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Mon Aug 29 13:53:49 PDT 2005

    Sean> To focus on something a little different... do we want an
    Sean> API that returns a pointer to a device structure?
    Sean> Specifically, how does this affect device removal?

Hey, that's a really good point.  We should make sure that our API
makes it easy to handle device hotplug.

One solution is to start reference counting device references, but
that inevitably leads to bugs in ULPs -- protocol authors won't get it
right unless we make it really easy.  And I don't see how to make the
reference counting trivial.

Anyone have a better idea?

 - R.