[openib-general] license mismatches

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Aug 29 19:52:08 PDT 2005

> all files in directories:
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/src/userspace/mpi/

Hal had actually sent me a note on June 30th with a copy to Matt
asking me when the OpenIB Gen2 version of MVAPICH will be released. I
had replied to that e-mail indicating that `we are working on it and
an initial version will be released around September '05'.

In that e-mail, I had also indicated the following licensing issue
related to the MVAPICH-OpenIB Gen2 release.

>> Once we have a `reasonable' version to release, I will contact you
>> folks regarding the `licensing' issues. We had a few rounds of
>> discussion on this earlier. The simplest and easiest way for us to
>> release this version will be to stick with the `OpenBSD' licensing
>> which we have been following for MVAPICH and MVAPICH2 releases. Such
>> an agreement has been agreed between OSU, Argonne, and LBNL. If we
>> deviate from this and plan to include the GPL clause, I may need to go
>> back to Argonne and LBNL. Not sure how long it will take to resolve
>> this.

Matt's reply to my e-mail (on June 30th) on the above licensing issues
was as follows:

>>   MPICH (1 and 2) are BSD.  Even OpenMPI is BSD.  I wouldn't worry too
>>much about changing MPI licenses to fit OpenIB.

Since Matt heads the OpenIB effort, we have followed Matt's
suggestions and thus, the current license on MVAPICH-Gen2 is OpenBSD.

Regarding the missing licensing information on make and configure
files, we thought it was not ncessary. However, we can fix those
easily and check-in a new version if needed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DK