[openib-general] Re: RDMA Generic Connection Management

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Tue Aug 30 11:25:30 PDT 2005

At 02:15 PM 8/30/2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>    Thomas> Verbs don't do that?
>
>Not as they are currently defined.  And I don't think we want to add
>reference counting (aka cache-line pingpong) into every verbs call
>including the fast path to make sure that a device doesn't go away in
>the middle of the call.

Well, you're saying somebody has to do it, right? Is it easier
to fob this off to upper layers that (frankly) don't care what
hardware they're talking to!? This means we have N copies
of this, and N ways to do it. Talk about cacheline pingpong.

Sorry but it suddenly sounds like we're all writing device
drivers, not developing upper layers. This is a mistake.

Tom.