[openib-general] RDMA Generic Connection Management

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Aug 30 14:09:45 PDT 2005

Roland Dreier wrote:
> One solution is to start reference counting device references, but
> that inevitably leads to bugs in ULPs -- protocol authors won't get it
> right unless we make it really easy.  And I don't see how to make the
> reference counting trivial.
>
> Anyone have a better idea?

I haven't figured out a way to make reference counting easy either.

I should also point out that the kernel CM returns a device pointer when
reporting REQ and SIDR_REQ events, so it has similar issues supporting
hotplug.

One other solution that I can think of is to report devices using some
sort of ID, which users would then need to match with a specific device
structure.  We could probably even provide a call similar to
ib_get_client_data_by_id(id, client) to assist with lookups.