[openib-general] Re: RDMA Generic Connection Management

Steve Wise swise at ammasso.com
Tue Aug 30 14:49:19 PDT 2005

Tom,

Can explain this in more detail?  I don't see how this is any different
from the current openib client registration design?  If I understand the
openib implementation correctly, a ULP registers as an ib client,  and
gets notified of all new devices aswell as all device removals via
upcalls.  The ULP _must_ clean up all allocated device resources in its
remove function (and even sleep need be?).

How is that different from a dapl consumer having to process an async
EVD about device removal, and shut down all EPs and EVDs that use that
device?

I'm not advocating necessarily that the client add/remove is the way to
go vs shielding ULPs from this totally, but I want to understand how
EVDs help things.

Thanks,

Steve.