[openib-general] Re: [RFC] change to ib_create_cm_id()

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 31 23:59:04 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com>:
> Subject: [RFC] change to ib_create_cm_id()
>
> I'm considering changing the function:
>
> ib_create_cm_id(cm_handler, context);

> ib_create_cm_id(device, cm_handler, context);
>
> This will bind all cm_id's to a specific device, including cm_id's
> associated with listens.  This will help prevent the CM from returning a
> cm_id associated with a device that a consumer may have already seen as
> removed.

Looking at the API, cm_ids are not currently associated with a specific device.
What am I missing?

> This appears to be a straightforward change for most clients,
> but would require some work in SDP.

So, I gather a ULP would need a list of cm_ids per connection, scanning
all of them on each cm operation, scanning and updating
these lists in all listening connections on each hotplug event.

I wander whether cm can do the same thing internally, making the list
part of the cm id object?

--
MST