[Fwd: [openib-general] OpenSM and Wrong SM_Key]

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Dec 1 05:19:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 07:17, Yael Kalka wrote:
> Hi Hal, Eitan,
> I think the best option is to add an OpenSM option flag - exit_on_fatal.
> This flag can decide on the action on fatal cases:
> 1. Exit or not when seeing SM with different SM_Key.

Still not sure why this would be an option. The compliance seems to me
to be pretty clear on this.

> 2. Exit or not when there is a fatal link error (e.g - multiple guids).
> etc.

I think the second issue is separable from the first. I would prefer to
keep the discussion of this issue separate from SM Key.

> I tried to run 2 SMs just now with different SM_keys, and I see that
> none of them
> exit, since both receive SM_Key=0 on SMInfo GetResp.
> The reason for that is that in the SMInfo Get request (as in all other
> requests)
> we do not send anything in the mad data. Meaning - all fields are clear.

The SM needs a way to know whether the other SM(s) (and which ones) are
trusted or not so the SM_Key can be filled in.

> In the __osm_sminfo_rcv_process_get_request function we are checking the
> state according
> to the payload data. This is always zero! Thus - SM will never know that
> the SMInfo
> request is sent from an SM that is master.

Right, on the get side, SMState is reserved as it is a RO component (of
SMInfo).

> I will work on a fix for that.

Thanks.

-- Hal