[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS (Reliable DatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Fri Dec 2 05:49:00 PST 2005

Richard,

In the document you published few weeks ago you listed latency and CPU%
as key goals

I assume to really get the latency down you need a user space
implementation that can leverage on pooling, any plans to work in user
space ?

Several other comments/suggestions if I may add (may already took them
into account):

As a UDP consumer isn't there a need to support Multicast as well, and
potentially leverage on IB multicast for scalability ?

I feel that there is not much benefit in eliminating the reliability
checks in the upper (UDP) consumer, since its negligible in CPU or
latency overhead, you may even just go with a UC implementation, also
UDP consumers may want to use RDS without modifying the application, or
may accept dropped packets or over subscription (since they are
interested in the most recent data).

And it is very important to tie the RDS implementation to the IP stack
for routing information/resolution, ARPs, etc'
So it would become transparent from the mng/configuration side as well,
not requiring separate configuration files, or dealing better with
dynamic environments and failures like a real UDP would.

Yaron