[Fwd: [openib-general] OpenSM and Wrong SM_Key]

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sun Dec 4 09:11:36 PST 2005

Hi Yael,

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 07:10, Yael Kalka wrote:
> Hi Eitan, Hal,
>
> I agree that currently we do not have an authentication mechanism,
> thus - we cannot decide that an SM is not trusted.
> I think that in the current situation the option of always sending our
> true SM_Key when receiving SMInfo SubnGet request is a good one.
> In this case - there is no need to update anything in the SMInfo SubnGet
> request.
> Any objections?

IMO this is a first step (assuming in subnet with only OpenSMs and hence
all are trusted). What needs to be done is:
The SM needs a way to know whether the other SM(s) (and which ones) are
trusted or not so the SM_Key can be filled in. To accomplish this,
OpenSM needs to have a list of trusted SMs (e.g. additional
configuration).

Also, given that the current default SM Key is 0. there is no difference
here (so perhaps the default SM Key should be changed to a non 0 value).
There is some ambiguity in the spec currently around this (and a comment
has been filed with the MgtWG on this).

-- Hal