[openib-general] [kDAPL]questions about the LMR creation of different types of memory

Ian Jiang ianjiang.ict at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 06:26:14 PST 2005

Hi James,
As is known to all, there several memory types uesed for memory register in
kDAPL. I have some questions about the types DAT_MEM_TYPE_PHYSICAL and
DAT_MEM_TYPE_IA:
1) Could memory allocated by kmem_cache_create() be OK?
AFAIK, memory allocated by kmalloc() is OK and that by vmalloc() is not.
What about that allocated by kmem_cache_create()? Is it OK in the condition
that the SLAB_CACHE_DMA flag is used?
2) What is the difference between DAT_MEM_TYPE_PHYSICAL and DAT_MEM_TYPE_IA
when a continuous range of physical memory is to be registered?
In my opinion, the continuous range should be tranlated into a serious of
page addresses before registered as the DAT_MEM_TYPE_PHYSICAL type, and it's
not necessary for the DAT_MEM_TYPE_IA    type. Is the translation is done in
the dat_lmr_kcreate() for the DAT_MEM_TYPE_IA type?

Thanks a lot!

--
Ian Jiang
ianjiang.ict at gmail.com

Laboratory of Spatial Information Technology
Division of System Architecture
Institute of Computing Technology
Chinese Academy of Sciences