[openib-general] Re: A couple of questions about osm_lid_mgr.c::__osm_lid_mgr_set_physp_pi

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sun Dec 18 08:13:55 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 03:53, Eitan Zahavi wrote:

[snip...]

> > This seems a little inconsistent to me. It seems like NeighborMTU would
> > be the equivalent of OperationalVLs, rather than MTUCap (which is RO).

> Yes I think we should have checked the NeighborMTU and not the MTUCap.

OK. I'll fix this.

> > Also, why does changing the MTU require that the link be taken down ?

> The behavior of the link when a neighbor MTU is changes is not very well defined.
> So the best way to handle that is to force it down.

NeighborMTU is not involved with the link negotiation nor is there a
comment in the description like OperationalVLs. What behavior are you
referring to ?

> > I also noticed a nit in the same function:
> >
> >   p_pi->m_key_lease_period = p_mgr->p_subn->opt.m_key_lease_period;
> >   /* Check to see if the value we are setting is different than
> >      the value in the port_info. If it is - turn on send_set flag */
> >   if (cl_memcmp( &p_pi->m_key_lease_period,
> > &p_old_pi->m_key_lease_period,
> >                  sizeof(p_pi->m_key_lease_period) ))
> >     send_set = TRUE;
> >
> > Should that be only when the Mkey is non 0 ?

> Well, I know the lease is not relevant when MKey = 0. But for code clarity I
> propose to ignore that fact. The effect is only when someone set lease period but MKey = 0
> which IMO does not make any sense anyway.

I agree it does not make sense but could happen (is it prevented somehow
?) so my take is to minimize the need for sets. As I said this is a nit.